With the addition of a few magic ingredients, broccoli and cauliflower can be transformed into a flavour-packed salad. Don’t believe me? Keep reading.
This broccoli and cauliflower salad is based on my mum’s recipe, which was one of those that used to get written down and handed from friend to friend to friend. It’s how recipes “went viral” back in the pre-internet days.
This recipes is the ONLY way I’d eat these veges as a kid.
The secret to this salad
To turn broccoli and cauliflower into something you just can’t stop eating is pretty miraculous in my book.
So, what’s the secret?
I think there are three secrets behind this salad:
- Use fresh produce. I sourced my broccolini (which can be used instead of broccoli) and cauliflower from my local markets.
- Don’t overcook the veges. Soggy broccoli is no fun, and even this recipe can’t fix the misery of soggy broccoli.
- The cashews. Don’t skimp on the cashews.
The perfect salad for any occasion
This salad is a welcome addition to any BBQ or can be enjoyed with cold meats. It also makes a great lunch – I sometimes make it up during the week and enjoy it over a few days.
I really hope you enjoy this salad as much as I’ve always enjoyed it. You may even discover a new and effective way to get your kids to eat their veges. My nine-year-old loves this salad and I love it because it’s the one time I see her actually enjoy broccoli!
Broccoli and Cauliflower Salad
- 250 grams broccoli (or broccolini)
- 250 grams cauliflower
- 1/3 cup roasted cashews
- 1/3 cup Greek yoghurt
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon Keen's Curry powder
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- Using a large saucepan, bring water to the boil and add roughly chopped broccoli and cauliflower. Boil for 2-3 minutes and then remove from heat. Drain and place back in saucepan with cold water. Drain again and place broccoli and cauliflower back in saucepan (without water).
- Add cashews to broccoli and cauliflower and set aside.
- Mix all remaining ingredients using a whisk to make the salad dressing.
- Once broccoli and cauliflower is almost cool, stir through the salad dressing and place into fridge. Serve cold.